Can I build a granny flat on my property in Sydney?
Many of our customers that call us here at Best Granny Flats in Sydney ask if a granny flat can be built on their existing property using the available room in their yard and whether or not they then be guaranteed approval from their local council for their granny flat? Whether your granny flat is being built for your parents, your children or just to add additional value to your property and to earn additional rental income there are five key matters to consider when looking to build a granny flat in NSW using the NSW Governments Affordable Rental Housing SEPP policy visit State Environmental Planning Policy (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009
- How close you are to any large trees? The general rule of thumb is to remain 3m away from any trees over 6m in height. This includes trees in your yard and even trees on the neighbour’s side of the fence. Anything that is within 3m will have to be removed (through council permission) or avoided.
- Are you building over or near a main sewer line? There are certain steps required to determine if there is going to be an impact on your granny flat design and construction.
- Does your property slope towards the rear? If it does, a solution will need to be addressed as to where your stormwater runoff will go.
- Is the property affected by flood or bushfire? Certain council specific reports will need to be conducted before you will be granted approval.
- Site requirements to comply – http://www.bestgrannyflats.com.au/how-it-works/
The above points are general advice applicable to all property owners making it compulsory for getting council approval to build a granny flat in the backyard your property. Approval cannot be obtained until the application for the construction meets all development criteria set by the relevant council.
For more information on regulations contact the leading granny flat kit home specialists in Sydney, Best Granny Flats on 02 4648 7777 or visit our display site at 151 Smeaton Grange Rd, Smeaton Grange NSW 2567 (near Narellan/Campbelltown)
Proudly Part Of
Specialist suppliers of sandstone kit homes
Stone homes carry a wide range of elegant sandstone designs. Our skilled drafting team can customised you plans according to individual needs.
Build your dream sandstone home with us – Visit www.stonehomes.com.au
The ultimate DIY kit sheds!
Our brand is known throughout the industry for delivering quality engineered sheds at low prices.
For value and quality sheds visit www.bestsheds.com.au